November is Movember month.
Movember (an annual event) involves the growing of moustaches during the month of November to raise awareness of men’s health issues, i.e. prostate cancer, testicular cancer, and men’s suicide. It’s serious business!
Globally, men are dying six years earlier than women and from largely preventable causes. To all the men out there concerned about their health, a friend’s or loved one, take action to live healthier, happier and longer lives.
Guys-Some tips for Life
- Stay Connected– Talk to the people you care about and make you feel good. Check up and make time for them.
- Talk More– Listening sharing and being there for someone can help be life-saving.
- Know Your Numbers– They say at 50, you should talk to a doctor about prostate cancer but seeking advice earlier on in your late 40s never hurts. For a good overview on prostate cancer see: https://uk.movember.com/mens-health/prostate-cancer
- As November says “Know Thy Nuts” Simple! -Do regular checks and if something isn’t right, see your doctor.
- Move More– add more activity to your daily routine e.g. cycle to work or go for walks in the park.
Helpful NHS Information
For more information on the symptoms, diagnosis and treatments of testicular cancer and prostrate cancer, see the NHS website:
Testicular cancer https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/testicular-cancer/
Prostate cancer https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/prostate-cancer/
For useful contact numbers if you are experiencing suicidal thoughts again see the NHS website https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/suicide/
We need to Talk. We need to listen.
Recommended Video to watch
Lloyd Pinder gives his honest story discovering and living with prostate cancer. It encourages all men to get checked.
So, what can you do to raise money?
- Grow a moustache for the month of November and raise money for charity
- Run or walk 60km over the month. That’s 60km for the 60 men we lose to suicide each hour, every hour across the world.
- Host a Moment (virtually or in person) host an event to raise money
- Mo your own way (do your own thing to raise money)
- Movember in the workplace (get your building/ team involved in raising money)